Abrazo Medical Group Family Medicine Center
6036 N. 19th Avenue, Suite # 506
Phoenix, AZ 85015
Phone: (602) 246-5525
Fax: (602) 433-6686
Maria Gibson, MD – Medical Director
- Medical Degree: Siberian State Medical University, Tomsk, Russia
- Postgraduate degrees: PhD degree, Institute of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Russia Academy of Science, ST. Petersburg; Siberian State Medical University, Tomsk, Russia; Certified Physician Executive (CPE), American College of Physicians Executives
- Residency: Obstetrics and Gynecology, Siberian State Medical University, Tomsk, Russia Family Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
- Fellowship: Faculty Development, Medical University of South Carolina
Maria V. Gibson, MD, PhD, CPE is a published author and national speaker on topics of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and women’s health. She brings more than 20 years of clinical and academic experience from practicing at Duke University Medical Center, Emory University and Medical University of South Carolina. She has trained hundreds of medical students and residents and was recognized by the Best Doctor’s in America, Top Family Physicians and by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases, stroke and diabetes. She practices a full scope of Family Practice including inpatient, prenatal care, pediatrics, women’s health, weight management and performs multiple procedures. Dr. Gibson specializes in holistic treatment approach, illness prevention and encourages a trusting patient-doctor relationship.
- Weight management
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Women’s health
- Holistic medicine
Tod Sugihara, DO
- Medical Degree: AT Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, Kirksville, MO
- Residency: Phoenix Baptist Family Medicine Residency Program, Phoenix , AZ
- Sports Medicine
- Care for the Underserved
- Medical Student and Resident Education
Dr. Sugihara has been with Phoenix Baptist, now Abrazo Central since his residency and has over 10 years of experience in full spectrum Family Medicine and Medical Student and Resident Education. He stayed on as faculty with the Abrazo Central Family Medicine Residency Program after he graduated and continues to be involved in teaching medical students from the University of Arizona, ATSU Kirskville College of Osteopathic Medicine and Midwestern University Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine. He has particular interests in caring for the underserved, dermatology, procedures and sports medicine. He is the team physician for Westview High School and does sports physicals for many of the high schools in the Tolleson Union School District.
Roberta Matern, MD
- Medical Degree: Mayo Medical School, MN
- Residency: Family and Community Medicine , Maricopa Medical Center , Phoenix , AZ
- Fellowship: Advanced Maternity Care and Women’s Health, St. Francis Family Medicine Residency, University of Tennessee, Memphis, TN.
- Women’s health
- Normal and high risk obstetrics
- Community medicine
- Care for The Underserved
Dr. “Birdie” Matern has more than 20 years of clinical experience in Family Medicine, providing true family care from the newborn to the elderly. She has special interests in women health, particularly obstetrical care. Dr. Matern emulates the true family physician: she delivers babies and
helped to design and direct the Fellowship in Advance Hospital Medicine for Family Physicians at Maricopa Medical Center. She has trained dozens of medical students and residents, passing on her passion for full spectrum of family medicine, which includes obstetrical and newborn care. She serves as the Director of Community Medicine and shepherds the Women’s Health curriculum at the Abrazo Central Residency Program.
Ian Frankfort, MD
- Medical Degree: State University of Buffalo, School of Medicine, Buffalo, New York
- Residency: Family Medicine, Deaconess Hospital, Department of Family Medicine, State University of New York, School of Medicine. Buffalo, New York
- Health promotion
- Quality and Safety of Health Care
Dr. Frankfort has more than 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in New York, where he provided primary care to patients of all ages before he moved to Arizona and got involved in Graduate Medical education. Since that time Dr. Frankfort trained many medical students and family physicians, who practice all over the country. We are proud of Dr. Frankfort military experience in reserve and active duty. As a Lieutenant Colonel he participated in Operation Desert Shield/Storm in Oman and Saudi Arabia.
Amanda Rapp, MD
- Undergraduate: University of Colorado, Boulder
- Medical School: St. Matthews University
- Residency: Phoenix Baptist Hospital Family Medicine Residency
I was born and raised in the beautiful state of Colorado. I traveled all throughout the country, but did not leave the state until medical school when I moved to the island of Grand Cayman. I spent 18 months enjoying a different kind of beauty while learning medicine. Then I spent the next few years of my life living all over the country from Chicago to Orlando and settled in Arizona to complete my residency. I spent three wonderful years at the Phoenix Baptist Family Medicine Residency where I was able to follow my passion for full spectrum medicine and women’s health. I am now grateful to have a position with the same residency, now known as Abrazo Central Family Medicine Residency. While in medical school I was able to complete an MBA. Outside of medicine I enjoy playing the flute in a community band, crocheting blankets and enjoying the outdoors at any opportunity.